Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Day in the Life of Ivan Kasinorarororvoravivitch

Or whatever his name was. Except I'm not Ivan K. and this is only about the work segment of my day. As promised, and as eagerly awaited for by Jessica, who probably will not even read it as she's fixin' to be pretty busy this week [yeah, I know. I just used 'fixin'' in a sentence. It just...fit, k?].

Basically, my alarm goes off, and I hop out of bed, ready to begin my day by running three miles and then doing chores. Well, that's not really true. My alarm does go off, though. Then I get up and go downstairs to call in and see if I'm scheduled to work. I generally draw comments, side looks, or snickers or giggles when I stumble into a populated area of the house on my way to the phone...I can't help if I look like an electrified lion. I've also been told I look like Tweety. So this is my "I just got up" face.




Then I make my breakfast...sometimes pancakes, but generally toast and fried eggs.

If anyone's wondering, it's 3 pancakes stacked on top of each other with butter, syrup, applesauce, and cinnamon on top. It's how I eat my pancakes.
This is the lunch...hamburger patty. It's cooking.

This is my "at work" face. You can tell I'm overjoyed. This was taken at the Comfort Inn, but sometimes I work at best Western, which is right across the street. I'm sorta chucked across wherever they need me.
The Comfort Inn is yellow. This is the back door.
Once I get inside, I grab my list of rooms, and my keys. Then I punch in and go find my cart, stock it up, and go to my first room. This is my cart at Best Western.
This is me in room 218 at Best Western.
And this is room 218. Before I cleaned it, of course. It's probably occupied right now by someone who is throwing trash all over the place, and in general making a mess :P

This is 234 at the Comfort Inn, before cleaning. Observe that the bed is stripped and ready to be made. The laundry person has a lot of laundry to do each day.
This is the bed half made. It just needs the top blanket and pillows.
This is my "it's time for lunch!!" face. I punch out around noon, and eat in my van.

I also read my Bible, and a cool little study book I found, while I eat. I have a half hour lunch break.

Then it's more cleaning till all my rooms are done. Then I help the other housekeeper if they need it, punch out, take my trash out and head home! Typically, I'll have between 11 and 14 rooms. 12 is pretty common. Some rooms are stayovers, and they'll sometimes have a do-not-disturb sign on their door. We like those people a lot. Sometimes people actually leave us tips. And some very rare and wonderful occasions, I find chocolate in the room.

Now, don't everyone trip over themselves in the mad rush down to the Comfort Inn for work applications...

[Oh, last note. I cropped some of the date-time-stamps out on the pictures, but for those of you who analyze my every photograph and notice the seeming inconsistency in time, yes. My camera clock appears to be like 2 hours fast or something.]

7 comments:

THE HUNTER said...

There was an awful lot of things running through my head when I looked at the first picture:
"Oh wow...."
"Huh..she DOES look like an electrified lion."
"A day in the life of Ivan K...how fitting." :) :) :)
And something that I noticed as well is the fact that all of the pictures seemed to be taken in 2010. You waited an awful long time to write this post. What's going on? Slacker! :)

Nadea said...

I don't get where the Ivan came from, but this was rather interesting - now that you and Jess have both done this, maybe I should blog 'a day at HC' or something like that :D

Erika said...

Hunter: ugh...so my camera's like a year slow and 2 hours fast (or 2 hours less than a year slow)? I should just find a way to switch the time stamp off...then again, it's a good memory jog if I forget when something happened :P

Nadea: isn't there a book by that title? By like some famous Russian dude? I was trying to spoof off it. And YES!!! You should. Or blog in general, koffkoffkoff :)

Nadea said...

are you referring to Ivan Karamazov? :-)

maybe I'll blog ... seeing as both Jess AND Arielle have blogged since I have, I think it's totally my turn. Although I did just post on the lively grapevine blog :D *awards self brownie points*

Gryphon said...

oh wow!!!!!!!!
(speechless)
(it happens only once in a blue moon)

Erika said...

Nadea: Yeah, him. Whatever his name was :P And your excuse about just posting on the Lively Grapevine just doesn't count. I did too, you recall :) *eats Nadea's brownie points*

Gryphon: I'm speechless that your speechless :P

gram s. said...

to the electrified lion: Really enjoyed this, a work day in the life of the person who cleans, so well, hotel rooms like we are in several times a year. Keep up the important job you are doing!