Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Houghton Happenings: October

Howdy, folks! Right now, I'm sitting in a classroom in the Gillette basement, watching Phantom of the Opera and sort of doing homework. And by sort of doing homework, I mean that I finished the stuff that's due tomorrow, and I'm having trouble concentrating on the paper that I need to write, so I decided to blog!

Anyhow, a couple weekends ago was October break. I brought Tyler and Nathaniel home with me. We left Wednesday night and drove home in the rain. Break was good. I made cookies, did homework, played lots of mafia, slept, ate food, had friends over for meals, went to the CAP squadron banquet, went to our pastor appreciation dinner at church, swing danced with friends, tried to learn new swing dance moves, played piano, and watched The Scarlet Pimpernel and Pride and Prejudice. Here are two pictures from break...

This past Saturday was Make a Difference Day. Houghton College teamed up with a couple other colleges, and we sent teams out into the county to help. Some of us went to nature reserve areas to clean, some went to farm areas, some went to hospitals or nursing homes, and many other places. I went with a fairly large group to the hospital in Cuba. We made decorations, place mats, and Halloween masks for the 61 old people who live at the hospital (I guess it's like a combination hospital and nursing home). We were there for several hours before we came back to campus.

On the academic front...because it's the second half of the semester (already!), my half-semester classes are over and have been replaced with new classes. I'm currently taking 4 classes...Foundations of Educational Ministry, Intro to Christianity, Biblical Interpretation, and Christian Formation of Adults. Classes are going well. Homework galore...but I'm happy with the grades that I'm getting, and I'm keeping up.

I realize this is a very short update, but I'm off to go swing dancing!

1 comment:

The Thimble said...

wow, ok so I haven't been on your blog in way to long...but thanks for the posts...I MISS you TUNS!!