Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Fair!

Friday was a fun-filled day for our family. In the morning, we went blueberry picking at the fruit farm where Jessica worked. After having my digestive tract tourniqueted (?) by a 5 and a half pound pail of blueberries tied around my waist, we went home to prepare for going to the fair, and having some friends over. At around 12:30, all of us except for my dad (who had to go to work), and Jessica (who was working) went down to our county fair. After getting our tickets and getting stamped (see photo), I made a bee line to the Civil Air Patrol booth which was in one of the buildings. I didn't expect anyone to be there, and no one was. So, I walked around several times before meeting back up with my family, who coerced :) me onto the Ferris wheel. I was praying for the guy to stop it several rounds before he actually did. And when he finally let us out, as I maneuvered in the limited space to get off, I managed to, accidentally of course, step on his foot (ha ha).


My National Guard buddies had a booth at the fair, as well as a lone Marine who had an ego problem. He gave me a magnetic Marine ribbon, but the National Guard gave me a t-shirt. Granted, the shirt's a tad bit big because they were out of my size, but nevertheless...! ((Note to Marines everywhere: Just kidding!!!) I also had a neat conversation with a man and his wife, who thought that the Civil Air Patrol had gone extinct years ago. I convinced them that it was still going, as seen by the fact that I'm a cadet staff sergeant. He, as a child, had built model rockets, and because CAP has a model rocketry program, we talked about that for several minutes.


After getting good and sunburned, we went home. It was a good day. I didn't have my camera along, so I don't have any pictures, but I'm sure you can all imagine it just fine. And you, my dear reader, have you gone to a fair yet this year? Leave me a comment and tell me about it. I don't bite, promise!!


No comments: